The purpose of this document is to familiarize DTCs, DLUs, STCs, BLUs, and PRNs, with the different accommodation options, as well as to provide the steps needed to set accommodations for individual students or for multiple students simultaneously. Accommodations must be set for each content area.
Student Accommodation Options
For accommodation definitions please refer to the School Administrator’s Manual. Links to the School Administrator’s Manual are also provided on the Help tab in the Nextera Administration System (Nextera Admin) or via the CBT Support page.
Online Testing Accommodations
• Text-to-Speech (online only)
• Answer Masking Tool
• Initial Page Zoom
• Read Aloud (by human)
• Speech-to-Text (ELA only)
Offline Testing Accommodations
• Print Variations
o Testing Language (Math & Science only)
• Flexibility in scheduling
• Flexibility in setting
• Method of presentation
• Method of response
• Use of spell-check-grammar-check
• Bilingual dictionaries and glossaries
• Separate location
• Oral Translation (Math & Science only)
There are also "Classroom Accommodations" that can be selected that align with options available on the paper answer sheets. These accommodations, such as "flexibility in setting," are not delivered via the computer or online experience. Selecting these options in Nextera Admin allows NYS to have better data on our students and their testing experience.
Text-to-Speech vs Read Aloud
• Text-to-Speech (online only) is an accommodation that indicates that the student will take the test online, but that all or part of the test will be read aloud by the computer.
• Read Aloud (by human) is an accommodation that indicates the student will take the test online, but that all or part of the test will be read aloud by a human reader.
You can find steps for setting student testing accommodations in the attached Quick Reference Guide. The ability for setting student testing accommodations is available at any time prior to administration when class/student data is available in Nextera Admin.
- What are the CBT options for my students that make use of the Test Read testing accommodations?
- Text-to-Speech (TTS) Player Functionality
- How does the testing accommodation "use of a scribe" work for computer-based tests?
Download Quick Reference Guide: