10 Things to Know About the Question Sampler
- The New York Question Sampler lets educators, students, and parents see what the New York State Grades 3-8 ELA and math test questions will look like on a computer.
- The Question Sampler gives users the chance to try out the built-in tools and other features that will be available to students during the test, including the highlighter, the Equation Editor, a wrong answer eliminator, the calculator, and more.
- The Sampler includes practice test questions in ELA and math for every grade 3-8. The Sampler also includes practice tests for student testing accommodations, such as Text-to-Speech and Reverse Contrast.
- The test questions are previously released New York State test questions already available on EngageNY.org.
- The Question Sampler includes all item types that students may encounter by grade level during the test. It also gives students the opportunity to practice using all of the tools needed for their grade level and subject (ELA or Math).
- The Question Sampler allows users to experience some of the computer-based testing accommodations available to students with disabilities. Users can select these special accommodations before starting the Question Sampler. However, on test day, students will not be able to select accommodations. Accommodations will be preselected by the teacher or administrator according to individual student IEPs, 504 Plans, or ELL status.
- The Question Sampler does not collect or track student information, names, or results. It is for practice only.
- The answer key for each test is available from the main Question Sampler page after you have selected the content area and grade level.
- The Question Sampler works best in the Chrome browser because Chrome most closely resembles the Nextera Secure Browser used by Questar to administer the real test.
- The Question Sampler simulates the actual testing environment, but when students take the actual test, they will all use a secure browser downloaded on the testing device. This ensures that all students are testing in the same environment and cannot access other information, programs, the internet, or tools on the device at the time of testing.
Please visit the Question Sampler.