10/11/18: This manual has been updated for the 2018-19 School Year.
The Nextera Setup & Installation Guide for the 2018-19 school year has been released by Questar and is available for download from this article. This guide provides instructions for schools to assist with downloading, installing, and testing the Questar Secure Browser on student testing devices, including Chromebooks, Windows machines, Mac computers, and iPads.
Schools can wait until January each school year to update existing Secure Browsers. The NYSED CBT Team will release information in January when the Questar Secure Browser versions are final for the spring CBT administration.
New updates to the guide or changes for the Questar Secure Browser installation for this year include the following:
- At this time, Google Chromebooks do not support use of an alternate language keyboard in conjunction with the Questar Secure Browser (relevant for CBT math).
- Devices with Touchscreens, such as Chromebooks and Windows machines, are supported this year by Questar (in addition to iPads, which have always been supported for CBT).
- Chromebooks that are 2017 and newer will not work in single app kiosk mode in conjunction with the Secure Browser due to a change Google made for security.
- For Chromebooks that are 2017 or newer, the Secure Browser cannot be deployed in single app kiosk mode unless managed through the administrator’s console.
- There are new steps for setting up and selecting voicepacks on supported devices for Text-to-Speech (TTS).
- TTS will work if internet connectivity is lost or the network connection is poor this spring.
- There are new steps for disabling Siri on Mac computers.
- We have updated the system requirements in Appendix B and are providing updated FAQs to assist with common inquiries when installing the Secure Browsers.
If you have any questions about installing the Questar Secure Browser or about steps noted in the manual, please contact Questar Customer Support via email or call 866-997-0695.